Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Regarding all things afoot...

Life may begin to calm down a bit after this week. I've just concluded the toughest and most important interview of my life (thus far). I'm tolerably confident I succeeded, but it'll be up to two months before I truly know.

Meanwhile, I LOVE Hong Kong! Though it's ridiculously consumeristic and not the least bit friendly, it's kinetic, clean, effective, and full of fascinating sounds and alluring smells. It has reliable electricity, drinkable water, traffic lights (that are consistently obeyed) and enticing food left and right. Most compellingly, not once in the last two days have I felt the need to scream "Why #@$^%$@# bloody @#$@#% doesn't this work the way it's supposed to!!!"

Methinks Kathmandu has lowered the bar for what amazes me. It will be a hard adjustment going back, which I'll be doing in a few minutes.

Pictures to follow, if the electricity ever comes back on again in Nepal.

Argh.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

"Methinks Kathmandu has lowered the bar for what amazes me."

I can totally sympathize. Every time we leave Dhaka, anywhere we go, we just wander around astonished at all the modernity, order, and cleanliness. Hong Kong sounds pretty great to me!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, KTM can do that... I walked into work this morning and thought "Wow, our floors are very clean!"... then remembered I"m talking about the hospital and I knew I've been ruined by KTM's pollution. On the plus side: I turned the light switch ON and.. IT ACTUALLY WORKED! BWAHAHAHA!

Miss KTM though, but maybe it's the people...

jonny death-star said...

Dude - you're alive! Awesome!

Hope you get to post more pictures soon - I thought the ones of the market were awesome.

Sunshine & I are buying an apartment. Are we are all normal and stuff?

Take care!
-j.