Tuesday, November 03, 2009

Oy...

I suppose I could say my plate is full. I'm bouncing back and forth between Khartoum and various metropoles of Darfur and, on one happy but too brief occasion, Switzerland. I'm working absurd hours, though to be fair I just partook of my first proper weekend in a month or so. I'm learning a ridiculous amount about subjects I hadn't known existed. All this is in service of a $2.5 million project that operates (lightly and loosely) over an area roughly the size of France. Oy. But jeepers, it's interesting stuff - at the nexus between war and poverty and the environment, using technology waaay beyond my understanding to tackle (or at least comprehend) problems similarly beyond my pay grade.

If only I didn't have to relearn Spanish in the next 3 days. Speaking of which, I'm strongly considering abandoning my bid for the Canadian Foreign Service, propelled largely by their hideous lack of communication over hte last year, their nightmarishly disorganized HR department, and my growing impression that I'd spend most of my career trapped in Ottawa, sequestered away from the (rather captivating) sort of field work I'm doing now. Choices, choices...

No comments: