Monday, December 04, 2006

In which I promise to reutrn to Thailand-specific blogging within a few hours...

But first!

Wal-Mart has announced that it is saying "thank you" to its employees for tolerating recent wage caps, enforced graveyard shifts, and other indignities.

Chief among the new perks will be a "special polo shirt" for associates who have served Wal-Mart for more than 20 years.

On one level, this is brilliant PR by Wal-Mart. After all, it's completely immune to satire - I've been staring at the page for 10 minutes trying to think of a snarky comment that doesn't sound blindingly obvious and therefore infantile. I've thus far failed miserably, and as such I give congratulations to Wal-Mart's marketing monkeys - well done, guys!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

How about "I worked 20 years for this lousy polo shirt. Ask me about my retirement benefits". Is that snarky enough? :)


Peace,

~Chani

Kimberlee said...

I wonder if the shirt's really the worst part of the whole deal though. I mean, there are people that actually work at Wal-Mart for 20+ years?
Can anyone really wear a blue vest to work every day for that many years and not be some sort of psychopath?

Paul said...

I'm with both of you on this one.

In other news, blogger's being very fussy, and won't let me get online to post more.

So I sit quietly, seething with rage...