Monday, May 04, 2009

From my bedroom window...

I can dimly see the lights outside the former Prime Minister's official government residence - a house and parcel of land remarkably modest by head-of-state standards. I see no disturbance there; I don't even know if he still lives there - does a Prime Minister abruptly pack his bags and move upon resigning? Methinks the rules for this sort of thing aren't especially well codified. In any event, the sickly yellow streetlamps that ring his home are lit and betray no signs of agitation or violence; but then, I'm rather far away. Inasmuch as my last house in Kathmandu was across the street from his place, bathed in that wan, mildly nauseous glow, I'm rather glad for the greater distance. Prime Minister's Lane seems an imperfect place to live right now.

No comments: