Wednesday, May 06, 2009

In Nepal, it's never one problem at a time...

With the Prime Minister's ouster, my electricity supply has abruptly dropped, from nearly 24 hours daily to something like 4(?!). I attribute this unfortunate happening to the fact that my house is close to his official residence, and thus enjoyed a somewhat privileged status these last two weeks; with his abdication, I think we're being punished. It hasn't made blogging easy.

Fortunately, there hasn't been all that much to blog about in the last day. Things in Kathmandu stayed surprisingly quiet. A late-afternoon bicycle sojourn revealed tire soot on the main streets but few other symptoms of unrest. Perhaps 50% of the stores were open, an unusually high portion given the situation. Street violence in the (to me) remote district of Rolpa killed one person, but I don't think there was any such activity in the capital.

So I'm going to work today - kindly cross your digits that I don't get trapped on the other side of Kathmandu.

2 comments:

Will Tomkinson said...

where does the power come from? Hydro? Are there plants in town or long transmission lines? Why is the power so unreliable?

Paul said...

Your question good sir, is faulty. The power is not unreliable - it is reliably awful.

It is generated by hydropower, mostly from long lines. The key issue is not with the source but with the quantity.

Nepal generates, at best, about 300MW of electricity. It demands, at peak, about 800MW.

Therein lies the trouble.