Wednesday, March 07, 2007

In which I'm allergic to backpackers...

But they're everywhere! I'm in Vang Vieng, a tiny and lovely little town 200 kilometres north of Vientiane. It's my rest stop on my way to Luang Prabang in the far north... but it's overrun with backpackers! Imperious, self-righteous, homogenizing backpackers (wait a minute, did I just accidentally describe myself?). In any event, I can hear four or five different TVs playing "Family Guy" at bars surrounding the internet cafe - such is the homogenizing influence of the Western explorer.

The blog posts continue to accumulate in my notebook. Soon all will be unleashed.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Would you prefer the never ending "Friends' marathons? Count your blessings..they've moved onto a better show at least!

Paul said...

You saw the Friends' marathons? Those are legendary - they were doing that last week when some friends of mine were here... apparently I just happened to arrive at "Family Guy" hour.

Anonymous said...

Yes, I had the "privilege" of seeing the Friends' marathons. Boggles my mind how in a place so beautiful one would rather sit in a stuffy restaurant and watch TV. A friend and I opted to rent bikes and go check out the nearby caves. Be warned not for the weak legged but well worth a cheap day trip! And if I remember correctly the mushroom shakes did a number on my mind...you've been warned! :) Tried the tubing yet?