Wednesday, January 23, 2008

In which I devour the meager fruits of my laziness...

After a hard day at work, and an ill-advised visit to the gym, I got a mite slothful on the way home and didn't pick up anything to eat. I'm paying for it now. The closest thing to a ready-to-eat meal that I could assemble from the contents of the kitchen was tortilla chips with dijon mustard, which, though a tolerable snack, is hardly the banquet I usually try to serve myself. It also seems to be making my throat close up, which might mean I should stop eating, but the taste has grown quite addictive. I guess I need to thaw some chicken.

In other news, I've stopped giving a rat's ass at work. Not that I slack off, but I'm no longer working the nearly-daily overtime I used to - 5:00 sharp every damned afternoon, I now call it quits. Some time ago I noticed that my extra effort wasn't actually making the pile of work smaller, so to hell with it. If I can work flat out for 8 hours a day and still not finish all the tasks gifted to me by the powers that be, then that's their problem, not mine.

Today's photoblog: the Good Friday Procession in Ciudad Colon, Costa Rica, Easter 2006.

Easter Procession, Ciudad Colon

In probably every small town in Central America, where the church is the core of the community, Good Friday sees an active reenactment of the walk through Galilee. Locals play the parts of the Romans, the Pharisees, and many others I'm too biblically-illiterate to name. I was charmed by the sincerity and earnestness of the display, but also somewhat unsettled by the genuine grief I saw. More than a few people weep openly as the procession wends through town, and a handful openly wail at the loss of Christ. It confuses me on levels both spiritual and logical, and I suspect it would even if I weren't an atheist. I don't comprehend having such an intense emotional connection to an event that predated me by millennia. Moreover, I don't grasp how a sincere believer can grieve the loss of someone resurrected three days later, whose death was the central tenet of their faith.

Anyhow, it's still a sight to see.

1 comment:

christian said...

the fact that you gave a crap at work up until now is probably your problem.

I'm good at my job. I do enough work to get by and keep myself ahead of the bell curve (doesn't take much). I only put in the extra time when I want the overtime. I leave at 4:30 sharp every afternoon, if not a few minutes early.

I make a decent wage and don't have to work too hard. who cares that my job is boring? at least it isn't difficult... if you lowered your standards a bit, you could be equally content. it's just a job.