Thursday, January 24, 2008

In which I'm pondering...

Christian asked me, in essence, why I'm not content with a job that doesn't fascinate me. It's a decent and sincere question, and I've been thinking about it in some detail - why do I love the work that I love, and why I am so fucking impatient with every other kind of labour I've ever been asked to do? His question has led me down some well-worn tangents, about which I am far too tired to blog tonight. But I'll have a good blather about it tomorrow, more for my edification than his.

But in the meantime, a counterpoint question to Christian, and everyone else who suffers through work the despise (or to which they merely acquiesce) - why are you content to sacrifice half your waking life just to support the better hours between 5PM and midnight? You'll be doing this work thing for a third of a century, and when that's done you won't get another shot. You can be amazed and energized by your day job, and still draw vast fulfillment from the rest of your life. Why do you think it's somehow undignified or greedy to demand both?

P.S. I need a more private place to blog. I think my coworkers know where this one is. I can't let all my posts be sexless sludge for fear of employer espionage. I'm working on it. Something new comes soon.

1 comment:

christian said...

if you can find me a job that will pay me $40k a year or more for napping, watching cartoons, and sitting around in my underpants, I'll gladly sign up.

my dream job doesn't exist. I'm not excited or passionate about anything. I don't have the skillset to do anything glamourous, and am honestly pretty damn lazy.

if I can find a job that'll pay me $40k+ a year that requires very little effort, isn't overly stressful, and lets me slack off for several hours each day, wouldn't I be stupid NOT to take it?

you've still got those dreams and aspirations. when they shrivel up and die, you'll be a lot more appreciative of those minor victories a soul sucking job offers.