Wednesday, January 16, 2008

In which I realize I'm impatient...

I've been home sick for the last two days, scarfing drugs and playing videogames. Sounded nifty at first, but I'm now bloody bored. I needs me some proper entertainment, dagnabit, but lately I can't even sit still long enough to watch a movie. I'm not sure why I feel so propelled to get out of the house these days. Probably because I'm in remotest Burnaby, suffering in the wildnerness. Or perhaps I'm showing the first symptoms of my characteristic itchy feet again. Or maybe I just need to spend less time playing video games and start doing grown-up things with my time.

Nope, that can't be it. Probably that my life is not currently supplying me with my recommended daily allowance of fear and chaos and confusion. It's funny how addictive such things are. (Speaking of danger and youthful intemperance, go see "Into the Wild" if you haven't already.)

So I'll talk about US politics a bit. Short version: Clinton or Obama would both make good presidents, they both deserve it, and they'll both very likely beat whatever intolerable fool the Republicans nominate. Sorry, Edwards, you're good too, but you drew the short straw this time around; any other year, and you'd be a shoo-in. I'd be happy with either Hillary or Barack, so I'll give the tiebreaker to Barack's delightful speaking style. But I won't shed any tears if Hillary takes.

As for the Republicans - it doesn't matter who they nominate. Sure, there's an outside chance that McCain could beat one of the Dems, but if the Americans elect yet another Republican after eight years of the worst government they've ever had, then they deserve it. Choosing which candidate they should nominate is like selecting from among a variety of abrasive and spiky objects to be involuntarily sodomized with. There ain't no such thing as a principled Republican; not any more. The party doesn't stand for anything except gaining power, and it hasn't for a long time.

With that brief, detail-light diatribe out of the way, here's another photo!

Picture 093

Midtown Manhattan and the Brooklyn Bridge, from across the river in Brooklyn Bridge Park, kitty-corner from where I worked on my brief excursion to NYC last summer. Good times... and so very expensive. But the city's a photographic gold mine.

No comments: