Friday, January 18, 2008

In which I'm weeks late...

Since there are things afoot I dare not yet discuss in digital public, I'll do something I should have done weeks ago - a favorite movies list for 2007! I know I'm hideously late with this, but I had to wait to fill in some blanks before I could make some final choices. So here, devoid of detail or qualification, are:

10. Superbad
9. Charlie Wilson's War
8. The Bourne Ultimatum
7. Zodiac
6. Gone Baby Gone
5. Sunshine
4. There Will Be Blood
3. Ratatouille
2. Into the Wild
1. No Country for Old Men

Honourable Mention to Transformers, Knocked Up, Zodiac, Hairspray and Breach.

'Twasn't a bad year at the movies, all told. No Country for Old Men really took it in a walk for me, but Into the Wild is still incredible and There Will Be Blood is easily the best-acted film of the year. Besides, any year in which Michael Bay makes a movie that's actually a blast is a year where I'm both pleasantly surprised and straining my ears to hear ice crystals forming on Lake Hades.

UPDATE: Oh yeah, I forgot Juno. Throw that in some random spot below #2... my top ten is now a top eleven. Yay for inconsistency!

3 comments:

christian said...

wow, of your top ten list, I only saw superbad.

I do have sunshine queued up on netflix.

no children of men? hot fuzz? simpsons movie?

Paul said...

Simpsons Movie was just barely edged out, probably deserves an honorable mention. Hot Fuzz was fun, but paled next to Shaun of the Dead - I'd be up for a replay, though, to reassess.

Children of Men was unspeakably awesome - that's why it was my top movie of 2006.

christian said...

hot fuzz did pale compare to shaun of the dead, but several of our friends disgaree with that sentiment... they felt the cliche cop movie spoofs were better played than the cliche zombie movie spoofs. I felt the zombie spoofs were easier to believe, since they were preposterous to begin with.

childs of mans being released in the last WEEK of 2006 makes it eligible for 2007. the oscars agree with me.